- 5: Gifts For Madge And Guy Quotes
- 5: Gifts For Madge And Guy Movie
- 5: Gifts For Madge And Guy Book
- 5: Gifts For Madge And Guy Youtube
- Check out 005: Gifts for Madge and Guy by Adventures in Odyssey on Amazon Music. Stream ad-free or purchase CD's and MP3s now on Amazon.com.
- Radio drama series Adventures in Odyssey features a comedic adaptation of this story in its episode 'Gifts for Madge & Guy' (1987). The opening sketch of the December 10, 1988 episode of Season 14 of Saturday Night Live reimagines 'The Gift of the Magi' as Donald and Ivana Trump.
5: Gifts For Madge And Guy Quotes
Madge (Gifts for Madge and Guy) Ethel suggests she sell some things to get the money to buy Guy a present. Madge then lists some things that they’ve already sold: the stove, car, furniture, books, and porch. Ethel has a very theological moment, stating that.
|'The Gift of the Magi'|
|Published in||The Four Million|
|Publication date||December 10, 1905 (newspaper); April 10, 1906 (book)|
'The Gift of the Magi' is a short story by O. Henry first published in 1905. The story tells of a young husband and wife and how they deal with the challenge of buying secret Christmas gifts for each other with very little money. As a sentimental story with a moral lesson about gift-giving, it has been popular for adaptation, especially for presentation at Christmas time. The plot and its twist ending are well-known, and the ending is generally considered an example of comic irony. It was allegedly written at Pete's Tavern on Irving Place in New York City.
The story was initially published in The New York Sunday World under the title 'Gifts of the Magi' on December 10, 1905. It was first published in book form in the O. Henry Anthology The Four Million in April 1906.
On Christmas Eve, Della Young discovers that she has only $1.87 to buy a present for her husband Jim. She visits the nearby shop of a hairdresser, Madame Sofronie, who buys Della's long hair for $20. Della then uses the money to buy a platinumpocket watch chain for Jim. When Jim comes home from work that evening, Della admits to him that she sold her hair to buy him the chain. Jim gives Della her present-- a set of ornamental combs, which she will be unable to use until her hair grows back out. Della gives Jim the watch chain, and he tells her that he sold the watch to buy the combs. While the gifts that Jim and Della gave each other can't be used, they know how far they went to show each other their love and how invaluable their love truly is. The story ends with the narrator comparing these sacrificial gifts of love with those of the biblical Magi.
5: Gifts For Madge And Guy Movie
- The Sacrifice (1909)
- Love's Surprises Are Futile (1916)
- The Gift of the Magi (1917)
- Ustedes los ricos ('You, the Rich Ones') (1948) includes the tale as a small sub-plot
- As a segment of O. Henry's Full House (1952)
- The Gift of the Magi (1958)
- The Gift of Love (1978)
- Dary magów (Poland, 1972)
- Christmas Eve on Sesame Street (1978)
- I'll not be a gangster, love (Не буду гангстером, дорогая/Nebūsiu gangsteriu, brangioji, USSR, 1978),
- Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas (1999)
- The Gift of the Magi (2004)
- Raincoat (2004)
- For the First Time (2010)
- Love, a French movie, based some of its scenes on this story.
- Darovete na vlahvite (2013) directed by Ivan Abadjiev.
- The Gift of the Magi (2014) The Greek film directed by Ismene Daskarolis places it in the economic crisis of contemporary Greece.
5: Gifts For Madge And Guy Book
- In 1955, in The Honeymooners episode 13 of season 1, 'Twas the Night Before Christmas' involves Ralph looking for the perfect present for Alice for Christmas. Without money, he pawns his prized bowling ball to buy her an expensive gift, only to find out in the end that she bought him a custom bowling ball bag.
- In the 1978 Christmas special Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, Ernie and Bert do a parody of 'The Gift of the Magi'. Ernie gives up his Rubber Duckie to buy Bert a cigar box to put his paperclip collection in, and Bert gives up his paperclip collection to get Ernie a soap dish to put his Rubber Duckie in. In the end, Mr. Hooper happily gives them back their items, realizing how much it hurt to sacrifice their possessions to please each other.
- Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas, which is a twist on 'The Gift of the Magi', is a children's storybook by Russell Hoban which was first published in 1971. In 1977, Muppet creator Jim Henson produced a one-hour television adaptation of the story, filmed in Toronto for HBO in the United States and CBC in Canada. The special premiered on HBO on December 17, 1978. The special later aired on ABC in 1980 and on Nickelodeon in the 1990s. The special features several original songs written by songwriter Paul Williams.
- An off-Broadway musical version entitled The Gifts of the Magi premiered at Lamb's Theatre in New York City in 1984. Written by Mark St. Germain and Randy Courts, the play is regularly produced in schools and regional theaters.
- Radio drama series Adventures in Odyssey features a comedic adaptation of this story in its episode 'Gifts for Madge & Guy' (1987).
- The opening sketch of the December 10, 1988 episode of Season 14 of Saturday Night Live reimagines 'The Gift of the Magi' as Donald and Ivana Trump (played by Phil Hartman and Jan Hooks) selling their yacht Princess and estate Mar-a-Lago, each in order to pay for a gift intended to adorn the other.
- In 1992, in Rugrats episode 27 'The Santa Experience', Phil doesn't know what to get Lil, so Angelica convinces him to give up his precious Reptar to get Lil markers for her Color Me book, and then convinces Lil to give up the Color Me book to get a space helmet for Phil's Reptar even though Angelica was now in possession of it. The twins both believe the sacrifice is the greatest gift of all, leaving Angelica in bitter Christmas spirits until she returns the original gifts.
- In 1993, an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 had TV's Frank selling his hair and buying Dr. Forrester a watch fob. However, Dr. Forrester did not sell his watch to buy Frank a comb, merely thanking Frank for the watch fob for his still-owned watch.
- In 1998, Indian singer Pankaj Udhas released his album Stolen Moments. The visualization of the song Ahista is a modern adaptation of The Gift of the Magi.
- A parody appears in the 1999 Futurama episode 'Xmas Story', in which Zoidberg gives Amy Wong a set of combs, only for her to reveal that she sold her hair to a wigmaker in order to buy a set of combs for Hermes Conrad, who then reveals that he sold his hair to a wigmaker in order to buy a set of combs for Zoidberg. Zoidberg then reveals that he has purchased Amy and Hermes' hair to wear on his own head.
- In the 1999 Disney Christmas Video Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse do a parody of The Gift of the Magi. Mickey trades his harmonica to buy Minnie a chain for her watch and Minnie trades her watch to get Mickey a case for his harmonica.
- The 2009 Christmas episode of Robot Chicken features a parody of 'The Gift of the Magi', where Jim refuses to sell his watch for expensive brushes and buys Della lingerie instead, much to her displeasure.
- In the 2009 Christmas special of Phineas and Ferb, 'Phineas and Ferb Christmas Vacation', Candace sells her necklace that she was planning on trading for earrings, in order to buy her boyfriend Jeremy a new guitar, while Jeremy trades his old guitar which he was planning on trading for a new one, in order to buy Candace the earrings she wanted. This twists the story so that each party ends up with the gift they wanted anyway.
- In 2018, an episode of Puppy Dog Pals entitled 'Bingo and Rolly's Birthday' had each of the two dog characters trading their prized possessions (a stick collection and a Captain Dog action figure) to obtain gifts for each other (a box for the stick collection, and a spring to repair the launcher on the action figure).
- A parody appears in the 2019 Family Guy episode 'Bri, Robot', in which Peter Griffin gets a job as a masseur, using the money he earns to buy Lois Griffin a comb for her beautiful hair, only for her to reveal that she sold her beautiful hair in order to buy him a bottle of massage oil.
- ^'The Gift of the Magi is published – This Day in History – 4/10/1906'. history.com. 2011. Retrieved November 16, 2011.
- ^'O'Henry and The Gift of the Magi'. LiteraryTraveler.com. Archived from the original on 2012-02-17. Retrieved 2007-05-13.
- ^Не буду гангстером, дорогая
- ^Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas on IMDb
- ^O. Henry on IMDb
- ^St. Germain, Mark; Courts, Randy (1984). The Gifts of the Magi. New York: Dramatists Play Service, Inc. ISBN978-0-8222-1461-8
- ^Watch A Trump Christmas from Saturday Night Live on NBC.com, retrieved 2017-08-03
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
- 'The Gift of the Magi' by O Henry
- The Gift of the Magi public domain audiobook at LibriVox
- 'The Gift of the Magi' study guide, teacher resources, themes, quotes
|ONE ACT PLAYS - CLASS B|
2008 State Class B One Act Play Festival
5: Gifts For Madge And Guy Youtube
| Sunshine Bible Academy High School presents: Gifts for Madge And Guy |
Madge - Samantha Burma
Ethel - Ashley Hamburger
Guy - Ricky Seaman
Timber Lake High School presents: The Scheme of the Driftless Shifter
Northwestern High School presents: Check Please: Take 2
Plankinton High School presents: Cinderella?
James Valley Christian High School presents: The Loathsome Lady
Menno High School presents: Imperfect Proposal
DeSmet High School presents: Four Little Words
Waubay High School presents: The Brothers Grimm: Out of Order
Chester Area High School presents: Take Five
Wall High School presents: Imperfect Proposal
Click here for ARCHIVES for results from past years.